The Unwelcomed Visitor





By the start of 2020, the Philippines have been plagued with various issues. From the eruption of the Taal Volcano, the never-ending talk about the franchise renewal of ABS CBN, and the worst, the COVID 19 threat which has affected thousands of lives. Every end of the year, we have always prayed for a better new year ahead. And while we continue to seek for the best things to come, the things that happen around us is not in our hands.

The effect of COVID 19 worldwide has implications that have created a hole in the economy. Having an enemy invisible to the naked eye, it is truly hard to determine who has been infected. And for some reason, some individuals could not just understand what the community quarantine is all about. I am not a fanatic of any political party or politician. But when I think that something that they want to impose for the country is beneficial, I am all for that.

It is funny how others see community quarantine as a form of Martial Law because by definition, Martial Law, as defined in Wikipedia, is the imposition of direct military control of normal civilian functions by a government, especially in response to a temporary emergency such as invasion or major disaster, or in occupied territory. We are definitely not under siege by any militant group. The health of the people is very important particularly that a specific cure has not been discovered. For now, medications given to patients that are infected with the virus are similar to those medications given to patients with flu. Should their situation worsen and become acute pneumonia, then additional medications are given.

If you would notice, most of the fatalities are the elderly. This means that the virus triggers on those individuals having low immunity. They mostly die because of acute respiratory distress. And for this reason, we should all find ways on how to keep our bodies healthy and to take precautionary measures in order to avoid getting sick.


Only In The Philippines
Being constantly online and reading updates regarding COVID 19, one would realize that it is easy how to truly avoid getting sick. To hold rallies and cry to oust the president is of no use at this time. Imagine a country having no leader in the middle of this pandemic! What would happen to us? If there was no one to lead us on what to do, for sure, everyone would be doing things on their own which could probably worsen the spread of the disease. In times like this, what we need is to be united in fighting and stopping the disease.


Being a mother, naturally, I fear for the health and safety of my family. Being equipped with the primary needs of my family is my utmost concern. I bought groceries to be sure that my family will have enough food. I fear that if I would not purchase that much, there would be nothing in the stores for the next couple of weeks because there are rich people who can buy worth thousands of pesos of goods. And that is one thing that I would also want the supermarkets to look into. Everybody wants to purchase practically the same kind of food/items. Why not set a limit in the number of items to be purchased so that everyone will be accommodated equally?

Some Filipinos are not taking the whole thing seriously. It is as if they have this invisible shield that would repel any kind of disease that they will be exposed to. And this is sad because they choose to be ignorant about what COVID 19 truly is. Social distancing is a way of preventing further spread of the disease. And to see people to still be walking in the streets and going to different places as if there was an early summer vacation ---- this is a picture of uncaring individuals.

Why am I okay with the enhanced community quarantine set by President Duterte? Because I know that this can prevent the virus from further proliferating. Because I know that in doing so, it allows the people to be safely home with their families. Because I love my family and to be inflicted with this deadly disease is something that should be taken seriously. So, how come others just live their lives as if it’s just another ordinary day?



How To Boost Your Immune System
It is now time to be more vigilant about what we eat. I have seen some people in the supermarket buying loads of junk food instead of real food. What were they thinking? The community quarantine as an extended vacation? Children were the primary concern that is why classes were suspended early last week. And that being said, parents should not be too contented that their children are home. They should impose a healthy diet that can ensure boosting the immune system of the children. Starting from giving them fruits and vegetables and also giving them supplements such as Vitamin C.

As I said, we are not on a vacation that we will allow our children to spend long hours playing video games or binge-watching Netflix movies. Having less sleep can also hamper one’s health. Families should take this opportunity to bond and start adopting a healthier lifestyle.


Guarding Against The Virus
Should you have symptoms such as colds, cough, fever, and chills, never hesitate to have yourself checked at the nearest hospital. It may just be an ordinary flu, but, it is better to be safe than sorry.

It was announced that most establishments will be closed until further notice. However, drugstores, banks, and supermarkets will be open until 7pm every day to ensure that the primary needs of the people can be provided.

Limit going out of the house. If you must, make sure that you have the list of things that you need to purchase so that you avoid going back again. Also, never fail to wear a face mask. Just the other day, I was joking around with a friend about what is inside her bag. I prefer using a small bag when I go out. But during these times, I think a medium to a large-sized bag is more appropriate.


Practice social distancing. I know that this was not done my commuters last Monday morning on their way to work. And this was the very reason why the enhanced community quarantine was suggested. Be at least 3 feet away from the next person.

It has been said that the virus may attach to objects or things around us which may accidentally touch. Therefore, make it a habit now to carry a pocket-size hand sanitizer. Washing your hands with soap and antibacterial is still the best, however, when you don’t have immediate access to both, hand sanitizer or 70% alcohol will do.

If you feel like sneezing or coughing, people may just stare at you or flee. You can’t stop these involuntary actions from happening. And if you really must sneeze or cough, use your sleeve to cover your mouth and nose. Better yet, go a few meters away from anyone else. If you use a tissue to cover your mouth and nose, make sure to dispose of it properly.

Avoid kissing and shaking hands. I know that we are used to doing this, but it is a way of transferring the virus. Therefore, replace it with a simple nod, instead.

Am I an OC? But I do think that there may come a point that we need to wear disposable gloves when going out just to make sure that our hands are free from any contact of the virus.

As soon as you get home, hit the shower and dispose used face masks in the trash can properly.


If you are mostly at home, prefer to wash your hand with soap and water. I know that these could make your hands rough because the natural oils are being washed away every time. But, for the sake of preventing the disease, we must abide by it.

It has been a habit of mine to clean the floor using alcohol, which is why I have a few bottles with me since last year. But ever since this virus have reached a pandemic status, I clean the floor more often. The same goes for spraying door handles, light switches, and tables with Lysol. I do this at least 3-4x a day.

Don’t take your shoes inside your homes. I have asked my family to wear a different pair of slippers when inside our house. All of the shoes worn outside should be sprayed with a disinfectant. (You think I am crazy? I don’t care! I want to make sure that my family stays healthy.)


What Is Inside Your Bag?
In my small bag, I used to have just a few things: wallet, cellphone, tissue, lipstick, hand sanitizer/alcohol, cologne, and pen. And I am happy with that. But now, I think I need to switch using a bigger bag where I will add antibacterial wipes, disinfectant spray, extra face masks, towel, and soap. Is that too much? Well, I am a mom and I am not just bringing them for my own, but also for my kids.



Life With COVID 19
Life has never been the same since the virus outbreak. My eyes are constantly glued on the net reading updates. You can never tell who is infected when you are outside. Some reported cases have not shown any symptoms which is really what makes the virus even scarier. Small and big businesses alike are affected. But there is nothing we can do about it for now. We just need to follow what we are told so that this virus soon dies down.

Will the virus survive the summer heat in The Philippines? I am unaware. But if it will, then it is time for a great celebration. The kids missing out the last few days of school is quite a blow with regards to those students who may be wanting to seek higher grades. But, all these sacrifices will bear good results in time. We all need to be united in preventing the further spread of the disease.

Mass gatherings have also been restricted which includes going to church. But there is always a way to pray and seek refuge even in our homes. I believe that this will be over soon. But, only if we all see things in the same light.

Keep safe everyone!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Christmas on a Tight Budget

A Glimpse of Hope

Now Is The Time